It had been months. months- since I had opened my pinterest account and scrolled through the pins of DIY and recipes.
So there I am sitting in my PSYCH 301 class. Statistics for Psychology. The class they wouldn't let me waive because it was specific for psychology, and even though I had already taken general stats and stats for marriage and family, it was a no go. Bored as can be. (we were learning about the mean, median, and mode... i learned that in 3RD GRADE!!! 2 hours of which number is there the most of.... i was going crazy) So i pulled out my new smartphone. yes, i have a smart phone. and started looking at apps. free apps. in a spur of the moment I downloaded the pinterest app. Life changed.
One class period later. and 75,000 pins later. I had my future house planned, and enough craft ideas to last me a life time.
Now and honest moment. I have never done anything with any of the things i have pinned- they are always a "one day I will" type thing. until tonight.
I came across the idea while trying to stay awake in class. A date jar. for the night you cant think of what to do you choose something from the jar. it just so happened that a friend's wedding is tomorrow and I was sans gift. this was it.
so one quick run to hobby lobby later. i had a mason jar. paint. craft sticks. and ribbon. ALL SET.
then it was off to my night class. 2.5 hours of marriage therapyness. the only reason i dont go crazy in that class is because our teacher is literally crazy- and so funny. the time somehow goes quickly even though we dont learn very much. so I multitasked. while he repeated himself for the 13th time, i created a list of date ideas.
After class my visiting teacher's came over. having been home for only 10 minutes the whole day and being on a time crunch, they helped me paint the sticks while we talked about life and got to know each other. it was perfect.
I love crafts. truth.
here is the finished product. simple. easy. thoughtful.
the woman who i got the idea from used the different colors of popsicle sticks as different categories. (one's that cost money, that take planning, etc) I didn't want to- so it is just to make it look prettier.
Making the list of date ideas was fun. It was fun to relive dates as I wrote the idea down, or remember times sitting on the couch brainstorming with the boy I was dating a "bucket list" of dates we wanted to go on.
Here is the list I came up with.
- go ice skating
- go to the library and read your favorite children's books
- visit temple square
- watercolor the sunset
- invite a couple over for games
- invite a couple over for dessert
- get dressed up and go out for a "classy" dinner
- go for a hike/snowshoeing and carve your initials in a tree
- look up what is going on in the community and go
- go to a movie- his choice
- go to a movie- her choice
- make italian food and watch the movie "Life is Beautiful"
- go rock climbing
- go to a local arcade
- play catch at the park
- go star gazing
- go window shopping for things for your home
- build a fort and tell ghost stories
- feed the ducks at the pond
- make something for your house off pinterest
- go roller blading
- play at a park
- go on a picnic
- look through old pictures and tell stories
- go geo cashing
- go camping
- go to the mall and pick out outfits for each other
- go bowling
- go mini golfing
- make crayon art
- finger paint
- go for a bike ride
- watch a disney movie while coloring in a coloring book
- stay home and watch a movie- his choice
- stay home and watch a movie- her choice
- play hopscotch, color with sidewalk chalk, and hoola hoop
- visit a retirement home and talk with the residents
- go to the food bank and volunteer
- go see a show/play
- spend the night in the city (hotel)
- go to a bed and breakfast
- go canoeing/paddle boating
- visit "your" spots
- relive your first date
- do facials
- grab a friend and have a photo shoot
- go shooting
- plan your dream vacation
- go to a museum
- go to a concert
- invite people over for minute to win it games
- cuddle up on a couch and read a novel out loud
- drive up a canyon and soak in the beauty
- build a fire and make s'mores
- make cookies and deliver them to friends
- go to a sporting event
- write "your story" together
- look at wedding pictures and talk about the day
- go out to dinner on "main street" and walk around
- go out for ice cream
- make homemade ice cream
- put a puzzle together and drink hot chocolate
- create a couple bucket list
- go to the temple
- project an old western on the wall and "shoot" the bad guys with nerf guns
- have a nerf gun fight
- carve soap
- make sailboats with stuff around the house and race them
- invite friends over and have a murder mystery party
- find someone to serve
- go for a run with your cameras and photography the world
- make a volcano with baking soda and vinegar
- test the mentos and soda myth
- invite friends over for a murder mystery party
- go to a fair
- plan a road trip and actually go
- go to cascade springs (in utah)
- go out to dinner- her choice
- go out to dinner- his choice
- go golfing
- go go-carting
- go to the DI and get ridiculous outfits
- go to the dollar store. spend $5 and just play with what you got
- go dancing in the moonlight
Its the holiday season.
- carve pumpkins and roast the seeds
- go to a haunted house
- go to a corn maze
- write letters to santa
- make "thankful' turkeys
- write thank you notes to your parents (thanksgiving)
- dye eggs
- make a snowman
- go sledding/ snowboarding/ skiing
- cut out paper snowflakes while watching a christmas movie
If you have any ideas to add to this not comprehensive list...comment. share the knowledge.
also i have a renewed love affair for this song...