Tuesday, March 27, 2012

life is fragile.

 nobody's tomorrows are guaranteed

life is fragile. at times I feel invincible, like nothing can stop me. it is amazing how life can change in the blink of an eye.

example one.


one year ago today Garrett Smith passed away. he was young. he was adventurous. What started out as a fun couples weekend skiing in the back country ended horribly. No one would have guessed what would happen, I am sure they woke thinking what a wonderful day for skiing it was. They knew what they were doing- they had all the safety gear. But in seconds the snow gave way sending Garrett and two others down the slope. With frantic searching and the use of beacons, they were able to find him- but unfortunately they were too late. He left behind a loving wife of 9 months, my cousin, Molly, and friends who adored him. 

I remember sitting at the funeral wishing I had gotten to know him better. Story after story was told of his love for life and his outlook towards the world. You never have to do something- you have agency. You can do anything you put your mind to. Life is to be lived.


still smiling through it all.
two weeks ago I found out a good friend was in a repelling accident.Brittany fell 50-60 feet. Luckily she lived, and didn't experience any brain damage. Brittany was one of the most energetic, full of life people I know. She lives life to the fullest at all times. 

I met her over the summer working EFY. It was my second week as a BC and her first week as a counselor. I met her during Saturday training and we found out we lived 20 minutes from each other. She asked if she would be able to go home after training to see her dad for father's day (we were 2 hours from home). The answer was "of course, you just need to be back by the sunday night devotional" to which she replied. "do you want to come with?" after much deliberation, and being grateful I can't sit still and had gotten everything I needed to get done earlier that day- we were off. The two hour ride was perfect- we talked the entire time. She told me of the adventures she had while working as a zip-line tour guide the months before efy. I thought she was the best person ever. My love for her increased over the summer as I watched her with her youth. Her enthusiasm was contagious.

She ran cross country for USU, and with the accident currently suffering from paralysis of her lower half. The hope is that she will walk in a year. I have been so impressed watching her go through this trial in her life. It is enough to break anyone's spirits- but she has stayed positive through it all.

meet her facebook posts- you cant help but love her

March 25, 2012
I've never been one for Facebook statuses but due to the circumstances and all y'alls support and constant care and concern I thought I'd fill ya in on my thoughts and whats going on from my perspective. Up until two days ago I can honestly say that I haven't had one thought of discouragement or "why me" thoughts. Besides a few whimpers of pain, my tears have always been because I've been overwhel...med with gratitude and the tender mercies of the Lord and just so much joy and love. But the other day my " good stuff" had worn off and i was outside and saw a biker fly by on their road bike and it made me miss blue bullet(my bike) and running and earlier that day doctors kept using the word paralysis (which bothers me b/c I know I'll walk again). But the combo of both of those things allowed fear to seep into my mind and my first tears of fear and disappointment began to fall. But by the time I was back to my room I realized that the only reason those tears were shed was because for a few short minutes my fear was greater than my faith. So those were the first and last tears shed over fear. I know this is all a part of Gods plan for me, and as long as my faith remains greater than my fear God will support me and I will be able to get through this. Once again y'all are the bomb diggity and THANK YOU!
March 26, 2012
"just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding and compassion which polish you for ever lasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where he wants you to be requires a lot of stretching and that generally entails discomfort and pain. This life is an experience in profound trust-trust in Jesus Christ." -Elder Richard G. Scott

she is absolutely amazing. words can't describe her.

example three

the movie charly. like i said I love it- but watching it on Sunday helps to put life in perspective, and is terrifying all at the same time. death or life changing injury can come at any time- but we can find comfort through the gospel.

it is amazing the circle of life. yes, that is a lion king reference. today in class our teacher told us it was her son's first birthday today. i couldn't help but think of Garrett- on the day that one was taken from this earth, one came. Where there was such sadness for one family, there was great joy for another.

so life is fragile. what good does this knowledge do us? knowing things is great, but without application it is useless. my two cents to the world- don't wait. Like they say in the music man if you always wait for tomorrow you will end up with a lot of empty yesterdays. Seize the day. Make your life meaningful today- become the person you want to be TODAY. there is no reason to wait. (a lot easier said than done)

the end.

random tidbits of the day.

my favorite temple guy lights up my day without fail. as i was leaving he grabbed my hand and told me to be safe. i made a conscious effort to come to complete stops on the way home.

10 miles down on the bike- 20 laps down swimming...lazyman iron man- i kick you in the shins

late night walks home with friends are perfect.

i love love LOVE my integrity class- more to come on that in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment